Other Vegetables Are Considered 'Fillers'
The list of vegetables in the Other Vegetables group is considered to be lower in carbohydrates than the starchy vegetables group.
Varying vegetables from this group will ensure proper vegetable nutrition through a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Onions are one of the oldest known vegetables known to man. When an onion is crushed or chopped, sulfur compounds mix with enzymes and release a gas. This gas is known to induce crying as it irritates the eyes. Onions are most commonly used as garnishment or flavoring to other foods.
- Cauliflower is high in fiber and low in fat. Although the leaves are edible, usually only the florets are eaten. Cauliflower has a sweet, almost nutty flavor.
- Celery is considered a common household staple. Celery is about 90 percent water. It is an excellent source of Vitamin C and fiber and is low in calories. Celery seeds are a great source of calcium.
- Tomatoes are high in vitamin C and contain lycopene (natural antioxidant). Tomatoes have a wide variety of colors. The darker the tomato, the more beta-carotene and lycopene it has. Although considered to technically be a fruit
; tomatoes are not sweet but rather have an acidic taste and are slightly bitter.
- Most commonly known as a reddish purple root vegetable, but it can also be white or yellow. The leaves are also edible. Beets are high in sugar content (highest of all vegetables), but low in calories.
See More About: Whole Grains
| Meats and Proteins
Return From Other Vegetables To Wellness-Helper Home Page